Avoid Ghoulish Plumbing Nightmares this Halloween
What not to put down the garbage disposer and kitchen drain
This month is about scary jack-o-lanterns, delicious pumpkin pies and hearty butternut casseroles. During the holidays garbage disposers and sink drains will be doing double duty with all the kitchen activities. Every year, plumbers gets calls to repair garbage disposals and kitchen sink drains, clogged with slimy, stringy pumpkin pulp and seeds.
To keep the plumbing system in your home running smoothly, it's best to avoid clogged drains by adhering to some practical rules. Here are a few drain saving tips you can do to avoid clogged drains:
- Separate pumpkin seeds from the pulp. Lightly salt and roast them for a tasty, healthy treat. Never put pumpkin pulp or seeds down the sink drain, garbage disposer or down the toilet.
- Pour grease into a can and toss it into your trash rather than pouring it down your sink. Grease poured down pipes will collect and eventually cause clogs in your pipes.
- Dispose of any leftover pumpkin in a compost pile or the garbage. Click here for more clog prevention tips.
- Clean out the strainers and stoppers in your bathtub or sink on a regular basis. Hair and debris caught on a strainer or wound around a stopper can attribute to drainage problems.
- Don't dump chemicals such as paint thinner or materials like hot wax down your drains. Use a non-corrosive drain cleaner and pour it down your drain every six months to avoid drainage problems.
- Run boiling water down your kitchen sink once a week to rid your pipes of any grease or fat deposits that may be accumulating in your pipes.
Should all this fail and you experience a clogged drain or your house is backed up, remember Michaels Plumbing Service offers 24 hour emergency service. Give us call or schedule online!
Not what you are looking for?
Drain Line Repair and Replacement Guide | Sewage Ejector Pump installation | Sump Pump Repair and Replacement | Drain Cleaning and Maintenance Guide | Repair vs Replacement | Avoid Plumbing Nightmares this Holiday Season