Care and Cleaning of Sinks and Faucets
Specialty Sink care and cleaning
Mineral and calcium deposits can build-up on sinks over their lifetime. It is important to clean your sinks thoroughly and on a regular basis to keep these minerals from damaging the sinks surface.
Helpful Hints for Cleaning Sinks
Different types of sinks require different cleaning techniques.
Vitreous China Sinks and Cast Iron
- Avoid using cleaners with abrasives on vitreous china sinks and cast iron sinks with porcelain finishes.
- Abrasives will scratch the finish and cause it to lose its shine. Regular non-abrasive bathroom cleaners work best for cleaning vitreous china and porcelain over cast iron sinks.
Stainless Steel Sinks
- Rinsing and towel drying after each use works well for everyday clean-ups.
- At least once per week stainless steel sinks should be scoured with a mild abrasive cleanser. Cleaning in the direction of the grain will remove stubborn stains and greasy film build-up easily. Scrubbing with the grain will also blend usage scratches into the finish of the sink, making them less noticeable over time. After the scouring, rinse thoroughly and wipe dry.
- Wet sponges, clothes, cleaning pads, and rubber mats left in the sink can lead to discoloration.
- Steel wool pads should never be used to clean your sink as they leave small iron particles in the grain lines which rust and can damage the sink.
- Copper is naturally antibacterial and more sanitary than all other materials currently used to make kitchen sinks, bathroom sinks and bath tubs.
- Rinse your copper kitchen sink, bathroom sink, vessel sink or bathtub with water after each use and pat it dry.
- Give it a thorough cleaning with mild soap and a soft cloth from time to time... and, always avoid using anything abrasive on it.
Possible causes of Kitchen Sink Leaks
The device that connects the sink to the drain line and keeps larger particles from going down the drain is called a basket strainer. Basket strainers can leak if improperly installed or if the someone over tightens the tailpiece nut and spins the basket after it has been set in place. Basket strainer can also leak if you put a drain cleaning solution such as Liquid Fire, Mule Kick , or even Draino or Liquid Plumber in the sink and it sits in the sink for a long period of time. This can cause the sealant between the sink and the the rim of the basket strainer to dissolve.
Not what you are looking for?
All Services | Kitchens | Baths | Dishwasher and Kitchen Appliance Installations | Faucets and Sinks | Ice Maker Line Repairs and Installations | Insta-Hot Water Heaters | Water Filtration | Faucet Repair and Replacement | Garbage Disposals | Gas Range Installation | Gas Cooktop Installation | Washing Machines | Kitchen and Bathroom Sink Reconnection after Granite Installation | Updating Sinks, Faucets and Plumbing Fixtures | Outdoor Kitchens | Bar Sinks | Summer Kitchens | Care and Cleaning of your Sinks | Georgia Power Appliance Rebate | Faucet Cleaning and Maintenance